We have offered many learning & resource sharing opportunities for those caring for children with special needs and the community at large.
Upcoming Info Session:
- Transitioning to Independent Living: Speaker: Aimee Combs of ECAC; Date: Thursday, October 24; Time: 6-8 p.m.; Location: Lake Forest Church Meeting Room; 8519 Gilead Rd; Huntersville; RSVP: Laraine Nicklaw, firstname.lastname@example.org
In the past we have offered the following:
- Transitioning to Adulthood: Presented by Elizabeth Hobson: Financial Advisor; President, Special Needs Planning & Wealth Management, Morgan Stanley Wealth Management AND Margaret Gaffney: Director, Transition 2 Independence, LLC. Discussion: Supplement Security Income (SSI): We will review and distribute SSI form applications; discuss age and income requirements; checklist of what to bring to your appointment; and Medicaid eligibility. After High School: We will discuss options for higher education; grants and scholarships; vocational rehabilitation vs supported employment; housing options; and maintaining Medicaid benefits. ABLE Accounts: We will review ABLE account basics; who is eligible; how to open your ABLE account; and ABLE Account planning strategies. Retaining Your Supports: We will review options to retain Federal, State, and local supports.
- Developmental Trauma: How trauma affects the developing brain, Neurological Reorganization and Neurofeedback as treatment options. Speakers: Melanie Berry of Carolinas Biofeedback Clinic & Dawn Bradley of The Beatitude House
- Brain Integration: Building the Pyramid for Optimal Functioning: Presented by Adele Shiessle, Brain Integration Specialist, Optimal You
- Building Healthy and Nutritionally Sound Families: Presented by: Sheila Kilbane MD of Touchstone Care
- Financial Planning Seminar: Presented by Ryan Platt, MBA and Tom Nichols of A Special Needs Plan
- Sensory Workshops: Exploring how the sensory processing and integration issues can impact a child's ability to perform in an academic environment and offering simple methods to enhance brain function and educational performance. Presented by: KidsAbilities Occupational Therapists Valerie Goodfriend OTR/L & Norma Wright OTR/L.
- "The Missing Link in Autism, ADD/ADHD, Asthma and Allergies": Addressing vital issues such as nutrition, beneficial supplementation, toxicity and the chronic disease process, your immune system and the “Gut-Brain” connection, and more. Presented by: Anthony Castiglia, MD of Advanced Integratvie Medicine in Mooresville, NC.
- "Presentation on Services Available for Families Dealing with Developmental Disabilities (Including CAP)": An overview of what services are available and information on how to go about getting those services. Presented by: Mecklenbury County Employee, Gena Chambers